Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

21 & Invisalign.

Last week on Monday I turned the big 2-1. Let me just say, it was fun. Don't worry mom, not too much fun. It was the perfect way to spend a 21st birthday. My friends planned me a "surprise fiesta" and after a good bit of fun chaos, some of us ended up sitting on the front porch playing cards until 1 a.m. I realized after that night I have never felt more mature...which is ironic because the entire night I ran around with a tiny sombrero on my head and a fake mustache on my face.

Anyway, I felt old. Not your, "let's play bingo and watch The Golden Girls until 10 p.m." old. But the old like when I walk past the alcohol aisle in Kroger I want to yell " I CAN BUY YOU AND YOU AND YOU! (followed by an evil laugh of course). I think subconsciously I began to think I was cool. Little did I know what God had planned.

About 2 months ago I got fitted for Invisalign. Essentially braces, just clear and removable so you can eat. Can't get much better right?! Yeah, that's what I thought too. So last Friday, my trays came in. I turned 21 on Monday and got a lisp on Friday. I kid you not I feel like Darla from Finding Nemo. That is quite dramatic, I'll admit. It is clear and from five feet away you can't even see them. But, my words have become harder to say and my mouth feels full...all the time. I feel like a football player who always has to wear his mouth guard. Zero fun sir. (Remember the Titans reference...#neverforget)

The same year I'm legal is the same year I feel like I just got braces put on. Don't get me wrong. I'm thankful that in a year I will have straight teeth, but I've decided this year is going to be a humbling year.

If I have learned one thing lately it's this: don't pray for something if you don't want it to be answered. Within the past month I prayed a prayer. I prayed that God would become my security and humble me. I thought it got lost in the crowd up there in heaven or that maybe God just forgot about it. But God doesn't play around with prayers y'all and I've decided I'm glad.

The moment I got cocky is the same moment God said, "Hey Brianna, you're not all that and a bag of chips." The moment I got cocky, is the moment God showed me He is my only source of security. The moment I got cocky, God gave me a lisp. The moment I got cocky is the same moment God answered my prayers.

He is my security. He is the only thing I can take pride in. 21 and Invisalign. Look at that combination, and just when I thought God didn't hear my prayer.

"True beauty comes from a person who boldly and unabashedly knows who they are in Christ."









No comments:

Post a Comment